Jordan Ayew, photo credit: Getty Images
Chairman Steve Parish has insisted Crystal Palace stars will be permitted to opt out of playing over fears of contracting coronavirus if or when the 2019/20 Premier League season resumes.
Top flight bosses and club chiefs are set to meet via video call on Monday for their latest discussions over ‘Project Restart’, after Prime Minister Boris Johnson revealed updated measures to the countrywide lockdown on Sunday evening.
One of the main topics of discussion will be the prospect of resuming the campaign, with claims players could return to action in June and games could be held behind closed doors and even in neutral stadiums.
A ball hasn’t been kicked in the Premier League since March.
However, there is plenty of opposition to restarting the season as the COVID-19 crisis continues in the UK.
Last week, Arsenal legend Ray Parlour told talkSPORT players have the right to refuse to play, with the health of themselves and their family members at stake if they take to the field.
Only on Sunday Brighton and Hove Albion confirmed three of their players had tested positive for coronavirus, while in Germany, the Bundesliga’s plans to return to action later this week suffered a setback with the entire Dynamo Dresden squad being ordered to quarantine for two weeks after positive tests within their club.
Speaking earlier on Sunday, Palace chairman Parish said he has received medical advice that the playing environment created by the health and safety measures the Premier League will put in place will be safe.
However, he admitted some players may not be convinced and will not be forced by the club to take to the field.
Do you have a story, video for African entertainment? WhatsApp Us on +233543452542
You can also email us at info@AfricanEntertainment.com